Thursday, September 2, 2010

Journal Entry 18: "Stand Up, Speak Up"


As I sat in on a class entitled “Black Diaspora”, the professor was very firm and presented his expectations upfront. He made his expectations clear, and I felt as if I was in high school for a while. “No talking, No cell phones, I demand respect”, etc. One young Ghanaian man sitting in the back raised his hand to ask a question, but apparently he wasn’t speaking loud enough. “I’m a 52 year old man, you have to speak up if you want me to know what you’re saying” the professor said with an attitude. He ordered the young man to stand up.  A couple of minutes later, a young white American girl sitting in front raised her hand to speak, and when she did she spoke very softly. “Say that again” he said in a nicer tone. He didn’t ask her to stand up. In fact, he even walked up to her to hear what she was saying. The back of the room (where many Ghanaians were seated) got loud. There was loud snickering and a little anger. I could hear someone in the back say, “Make her stand up too!”.  Of course, the professor was busy answering this girl’s question, so they would just have to wait until he’s done.

No comments:

Post a Comment