Thursday, September 23, 2010

Journal Entry 22: Building Water Purifiers


Last weekend, my exchange program went to do some community service at a village a couple hours outside of Accra (Dogobom in Ada). Our mission was to build water purifiers, which I knew nothing about. When we got there and they showed us the lake they use for water, I was shocked. The water was yellow. I couldn’t believe it when the woman said “We use this water for everything—cleaning, cooking, bathing, drinking”. I didn't even want to touch the water, never mind bathe in it or drink it. 
We set up three purifiers in the village.  Two of the purifiers were located in different parts of the village’s school, and one was located in the general village. In order to build the purifiers, we had to clean sand with the water. I must admit that I was very skeptical of the process, considering we were cleaning it with the same dirty water. Surprisingly, after everything was finished, there were three water purifiers set up, with clear water coming out of them!

After taking a break to eat lunch, we (the volunteers) could hear a traditional African rhythm being played somewhere in the village and we followed the sound. Before you knew it, we were dancing with members of the village, learning their dances and sharing our own. I love how dancing is such an integral part of Ghanaian culture, and how it’s used to communicate. The kids running around seemed to be so fascinated by us, smiling and giggling, and waving big “Hellos”. 

 I  felt good about being there because it was a big wake up call. Even being poor in the U.S, water wouldn't be a huge concern, at least not to the same extent.  I can’t say I’m sure how it worked exactly, but I’m certainly glad it did, because no one deserves to live in those conditions.
My fellow exchange student and I take a picture with some of the sweet kids in the village


No comments:

Post a Comment