Friday, November 26, 2010

Journal Entry 46: A Beautiful Reservoir and Greedy Baboons


I went with my exchange program on a trip to see the largest man-made reservoir in the world, Lake Volta. The guide explained to us that it is used to generate about 65% of Ghana's electricity (if I remember correctly) and also used for export to Togo and Benin. It's formed by the Akosombo Dam and was constructed from 1961-1965 by geologist Albert Ernest Kitson. But aside from all of the boring facts--it's just a gorgeous place to see! The tour guide teased us by saying we couldn't take any pictures, but gave us a few minutes at the end of the tour to do so. Above are a couple I was fortunate enough to capture.


A couple of young ones finally got food

The baboon jumps on our van to say hello
We also took a trip to a game reserve where we got close and personal with greedy baboons. It was interesting to watch them interact, but even more interesting that they were bold enough to approach us. As soon as we stepped foot out of our vehicles, they came swarming towards us. One older baboon kept stealing a baby baboon's food and a couple of baboons even snatched food out of a few of my friend's hands! When I started walking with my plantain chips I knew I was the next target, so I just threw the bag and watched a bunch of them run off to fight for it. Aside from the greedy food, some of my peers also caught two baboons mating, which you have to admit would be quite entertaining to see. If we hadn't seen enough, another (fortunately smaller) baboon jumped on our van as we were leaving, I guess in search of more food. I enjoyed having fun with them, but when it comes to food they are a little too aggressive for my taste!


No comments:

Post a Comment