Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Journal Entry 1: Arriving in Ghana


When I first got off of the plane and entered the country closest to the center of the earth, my first  thought was; “Gee, it isn’t as hot as people say it is”. Little did I know that the weather I had experienced was cold in comparison to what was to come. The mentors from my program met me at the airport to take me to the hotel I was going to be staying at for a few days. One mentor took her arm and wrapped it around my shoulder, as if she had known me my whole life. Even though it was a small gesture, it stood out to me because it gave me a sense of how caring and friendly Ghanaians are.
On the way to the hotel, I noticed all of the people selling stuff on the street. Many of them carried their items on their head, which I had found fascinating even though I had seen it in pictures. When we got to the hotel, we sat down to have lunch. I knew the food would be a challenge for me, considering I’m used to eating the same things over and over again.  After a while I was able to find what I liked, but I did initially have trouble eating because there wasn’t as much room to explore my options. Thankfully, that was only a small portion of my trip.
I automatically noticed the warm welcome I received from not only the mentors in my program, but Ghanaians in general.  They always smiled and greeted me. I got the impression that they are a hospitable people that care about others just as much, if not more than themselves. 
Knowing this led me to the conclusion that I was going to learn a lot during my time here.

1 comment:


  1. do you want to study in abroad today or in the next intake. we are the best and top rated study abroad consultancies inoverseas education consultants in himayat nagar india with good visa assurance.we help you in filing the f1 visa for you in very less time. we are also help you with information needed to apply for the college university.

    ReplyDelete