Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Journal Entry 6: Obroni


I had asked many questions about identity prior to arriving in Ghana. I had heard that I would be considered a white person. Some said it is because of my complexion, and others said it is because I am American. I was finally called Obroni (white person) today. I was walking down the main street of the campus with my Nigerian friend from the program and we were discussing issues of the black race in terms of self-hatred and our perceptions of one another. This conversation was brought about specifically because earlier in the day, a Ghanaian man introduced himself to me and my white friend, but ignored my Nigerian friend as if he was not important. As we were discussing issues of skin color (light vs. dark), a woman I’ve encountered twice before, came up to me trying to sell some of the food she was carrying. “Ayy obroni, hi obroni” she called to me, grabbing my hand and trying to convince me of how delicious her food was. “No” I said. “Not Obroni, I am your sister.” I replied grabbing her hand in a friendly gesture. “Ohhh no Obroni?? Bibini (black person)?? I like your skin color. You trade your skin color with me and give it to me”. “No no but I like YOUR skin color”, I insisted. “Good then you trade it with me”. “But your skin is beautiful”, I said "and I love it”.  I recognized the same mentality of self-abhorrence that was present in African-Americans, and even though I knew it was there, it was very disappointing to confront. Even in a black country where everyone may look like you, your own dark skin remains inferior.

1 comment:


  1. do you want to study in abroad today or in the next intake. we are the best and top rated study abroad consultancies in india with good visa assurance.we help you in filing the f1 visa for you in very less time. we are also help you with information needed to apply for the college university. overseas education consultants in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete