Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Journal Entry 3: T.I.G.

Today was a very interesting day. I woke up, hopped out of my mosquito net (which I eventually called my princess castle) to discover that there was no running water. This means no shower, no brushing my teeth, and clogged up toilets. I had to wash with wipes and eventually learned to survive with my bottled water.  I was overwhelmed at first, because I really had to go to the bathroom (and I don’t mean peeing), but the toilets were already filled with wastes, and I had no toilet paper. (Often times you need to bring your own toilet paper to the bathroom, including sometimes in public places).  Of course you have to do what you have to do, and thankfully my roommate let me use her toilet paper. She came up with a saying that we use to remind ourselves that we are not home. “T.I.G.=This is Ghana”.
  **First learning experience in Ghana: Never take anything for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment